Thursday, February 6, 2014

Look up

Whilst on my walk this morning, it occurred to me that I often look down. "Why" I thought? Numerous reasons came to mind... the mindset of being 'in the zone'; to avoid tripping on an uneven surface, avoid stepping in any dog droppings, avoid the sun shining under my hat...

Then it came to me, "oh how I must look up!"

I immediately did and what did I see? Beautiful clouds in a beautiful blue sky.

'Look up at the heavens and see; gaze at the clouds so high above you' ~Job 35:5


It got me thinking about life in general, and how we can easily get caught up in all the busyness and wrapped in the 'things' we have. 1 John 2:16-17 explains that the 'things' of life come and go - they are materialistic, perishable, tangible, temporary. So easy to get attached to and become consumed with.

Getting caught up can detract and distract one from 'quiet times' throughout the day - time that is focused on building, strengthening and enriching one's relationship with Jesus - a relationship that is enduring, forever and will never cease, but be carried into eternity.

'Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me' ~John 14:6

In other words, we can't experience God's love until we realise how finite, fickle and fading our lives are here on earth, and then be bathed in the grace and mercy of accepting that Jesus died that we might know and experience the joys of heaven above - tasting it now on earth in the beauty of nature, and later for eternity, when our souls are lifted up.

'Be still and know that I am God' ~Psalm 46:10

No comments:

Post a Comment